|Testing various techniques - Tying in to the existing back splash and future counter tops.|
I used a door from our old linen closet to create a test board for the techniques I was thinking of using for the kitchen cabinet make-over. It was still laying around from our Master Suite remodel, and since it is the same type of wood I thought it would be a good work surface. What I needed to accomplish was to achieve a technique that would maintain the visual integrity of the fabric print but allow me to distress it at the same time.
|Fabric Distressing Technique|
And the winner is...
I protected the fabric and created texture by covering it in two layers of clear, water-based kitchen caulk. It's white coming out of the tube which allows you to ensure adequate coverage of your area, and dries clear. Don't use the type that must be cleaned with mineral spirits. It's too shiny and sticky, even after it has dried. The first layer of caulk was spread on thinly with a drywall blade. The second was slapped on thickly, and rather hap-hazardly to create depth and added a nice touch with the application of the antique glaze.
I tried a few other ideas that I thought would create the antiqued look I was going for, but none of those protected the fabric. Once the glaze was applied it just soaked right in and covered the pretty toile print.
I'll be completing the top doors in the kitchen first. I think I may simply apply the same technique on all of the lower cabinets without the fabric, to lend a little bit of subtlety to the overall look.
Keep checking in. This could get very interesting.
Yes, Bryndal, you can chew on my coke bottle. I'm finished with it.