The rules of reality say the Bumble Bee shouldn't be able to fly...some rules were meant to be broken.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Creative Kitchen Cabinets

Update #1 on the Uber kitchen remodel.  Kitchen cabinets.

Testing various techniques - Tying in to the existing back splash and future counter tops.
 
I used a door from our old linen closet to create a test board for the techniques I was thinking of using for the kitchen cabinet make-over.  It was still laying around from our Master Suite remodel, and since it is the same type of wood I thought it would be a good work surface.  What I needed to accomplish was to achieve a technique that would maintain the visual integrity of the fabric print but allow me to distress it at the same time.

Fabric Distressing Technique
  
And the winner is...

 
I protected the fabric and created texture by covering it in two layers of clear, water-based kitchen caulk.  It's white coming out of the tube which allows you to ensure adequate coverage of your area, and dries clear.  Don't use the type that must be cleaned with mineral spirits.  It's too shiny and sticky, even after it has dried.  The first layer of caulk was spread on thinly with a drywall blade.  The second was slapped on thickly, and rather hap-hazardly to create depth and added a nice touch with the application of the antique glaze. 

I tried a few other ideas that I thought would create the antiqued look I was going for, but none of those protected the fabric.  Once the glaze was applied it just soaked right in and covered the pretty toile print.





In addition, I needed to test my use of old faux wood window blinds as the frame for the doors of the cabinets.  With these blinds you get nice convenient little holes about every 10" which allow the strings to work the blind when it's hanging in a window, but inconveniently create a quandary when you are trying to re-purpose them.   Problem solved.  I covered each hole by applying Spackling Paste to a fleur de lis stencil.  Once the paste was dry I dampened my fingers with a tiny bit of water to rub out any sharp edges and they look very attractive with the glaze applied.




I'll be completing the top doors in the kitchen first.  I think I may simply apply the same technique on all of the lower cabinets without the fabric, to lend a little bit of subtlety to the overall look.

Keep checking in.  This could get very interesting.


Yes, Bryndal, you can chew on my coke bottle.  I'm finished with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...