The rules of reality say the Bumble Bee shouldn't be able to fly...some rules were meant to be broken.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Quick Coaster Tray


I picked up a little wooden tray at the thrift store the other day.  It was bare unfinished wood but had a cute metal mesh on each side of the tray, and I thought I could do something with it.

Perhaps it would make a nice, non-traditional coaster for a couple of drinks,  or even a serving tray for a small fast-food meal.

I sprayed the whole tray with black spray paint and let it dry.  Then I taped off the metal mesh with painters tape and went over it again with a light coat of brown spray paint.  After drying, I attached a piece of scrap fabric so that the tray would not scratch my $12.50 coffee table (see previous blog) and then cut another piece of scrap fabric and frayed the edges.  I placed this fabric inside the tray but did not glue it.  This way if the fabric is spilled on or stained I can easily pull it out and place a new piece inside.  I can also change the fabric do coordinated with seasonal and holiday decorating.

It's a nice change from the traditional "coaster" and not bad for a buck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...